Thursday, May 10, 2012

My Own Home Makeover!

We've been in our house a little over 6 years now and I was itching for a make over.  Lucky for me, the furniture that we were told when we bought 10 years ago and were told it would last 10 years came true to the salesperson's promise.  It was like it turned 10 and it was screaming to be retired.

So what started out as just needing a new couch and chair and ottoman turned into a living room and dining room makeover.  I wish I had good before pictures, but I don't.  I was just so eager to get this party started that I forgot to take before pictures.  Because we have an open concept house, I thought I had to have our living room and dining room one color.  So the entire living room and dining room was the same color yellow. I love yellow.  I also love red.  At our old house, I made Chris paint one red wall.  Have you painted red?  It takes a gazillion coats.  I promised him I would not do that again.  But we had red furniture.  In that great material that the furniture people promise you wears fabulously.  Here's a tip - it doesn't.  I'm a clean freak.  We vacuum our furniture regularly.  It didn't stay clean.  It didn't repel spills.  Instead, it was like it sucked the spill into just to prove otherwise.  But, I do love red :)  Just not my furniture anymore :)

Here are some pictures to get an idea of what the living room and dining room looked like (ignore the various holiday and party decor):

Living Room:

Fireplace








Window Treatments and Furniture


Pillars Separating the Living Room and Dining Room


Dining Room (this is all I got...):





And here's my new living room and dining room!  I love it!!!

The pillars and fireplace were painted "Silhouette" in a matte finish.  I eliminated the cornice treatment and just went with a plain curtain rod.  The curtains are from JC Penney.  They worked perfectly!  The frames are from Hobby Lobby that I placed fabric in.  I put new lamp shades on the lamps from Target.  The living room color paint is Kingsport Gray.  The entryway wall and dining room are Shaker Beige.




Here is the fireplace :)


The entryway. 
The canvases are from Ballard Design.  They were in our bedroom.  The rug is from Joss and Main.





My black and white photo wall.


I took a grain sack, cut the back off and put it in an embroidery hoop that I painted the Silhouette color.  The mirror, pin board and "C" are from Hobby Lobby.


I took leftover fabric and put it in embroidery hoops that I painted as well.



 The dining room:

I really did not buy anything new for the dining room.  I did a lot of "shopping my house."  Our amazing painters (who are TEACHERS by trade - shout out to the teachers!) helped me pick the colors and also helped me shop my house and rearrange things so it looks like have a new house.  I've had these barn windows for 10 years as well as the antique silverware in the shadow boxes.  The antique silverware is from my Great Aunt. 


My painters/teacher/interior decorators had me rearrange my Ikea frames and paint them the Silhouette color.  I love them!


I bought this shelf at Kohl's on super sale with another 30% off.  It's not the highest quality, but it does the job! Everything on this shelf I had (except the monogram).  The curtains are from Pottery Barn Teen of all places!



I thought I'd miss all the color from the previous living room and furniture.  I'm not.  I absolutely love my new rooms!!!

Thanks for looking!

1 comment:

  1. Nice! Like the upholstered chair a lot!

    I think it would cool if the wood window frame was also the grey color.
    Just a thought!

    :)

    ReplyDelete